Delta Dental of Michigan

Home / Individuals / Special Programs / Healthy Kids Dental / Healthy Kids Dental FAQs

Customer Service Woman

Healthy Kids Dental FAQs

At Delta Dental, we strive to provide superior customer service. It is important to us to answer every inquiry quickly, professionally and accurately. Following is a selection of our most frequently asked questions:

May I choose any dentist?

You may choose any Healthy Kids Dental (HKD) participating dentist. Although we prepare the Healthy Kids Dental dentist directory with our most current information, ask the dentist or the dental office staff if they are participating in Healthy Kids Dental when you make an appointment.
Return to top

When does dental coverage begin?

Coverage begins when the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) tells Delta Dental that the member is eligible. Delta Dental will mail you a Delta Dental ID card at that time. This card is permanent; you will not receive a new card each month. Only services provided after the child becomes eligible will be covered.
Return to top

Will Delta Dental make payment directly to the dentist, or will I receive payment?

Delta Dental will make payment directly to the participating dentist.
Return to top

Do I have to pay for dental services?

As long as you go to a Healthy Kids Dental participating dentist you do not have to pay for covered services. If Healthy Kids Dental does not cover a service you would like your dentist to provide, you must pay for that service.
Return to top

What happens if my child doesn’t go to a participating dentist?

Delta Dental will not pay for services from a nonparticipating dentist, and you will have to pay for them.
Return to top

Does Healthy Kids Dental cover all dental services?

No. Covered dental services are listed in the Healthy Kids Dental member handbook.
Return to top

What should I do in case of a dental emergency?

If a dental emergency happens, call your dentist’s office and ask them what you should do. If the emergency is life threatening, call 911 or the phone number for emergency medical services in your area. If you are not in Michigan when the dental emergency happens, you can call our customer service department toll-free at 800-482-8915, or check our online HKD dentist directory to find a dentist who participates with Delta Dental. However, you are not required to go to a Delta Dental dentist in the case of an emergency.

Before you receive treatment, tell the dentist that you are in the Healthy Kids Dental program and that they may call customer service at 800-482-8915 for additional information and billing assistance. This is very important.
Return to top

What if my child needs specialty dental care?

If your child needs a specialist, talk to your regular dentist. He or she can tell you how to get specialty care. Before visiting a specialist, be sure he or she is a Healthy Kids Dental participating dentist. If the specialist is not a Healthy Kids Dental participating dentist, Delta Dental will not pay for the services. Instead, you will have to pay for them.
Return to top

My child’s Delta Dental card has a different number than his/her Social Security number. Is that wrong?

No. Identification (ID) numbers used for children covered by the Healthy Kids Dental program changed from their Social Security numbers to their 10-digit state-assigned Medicaid ID number on November 1, 2009. (This is the same number that is included on your mihealth ID card.) If you still have an old card displaying your child’s Social Security number, you should request a new card from Delta Dental and destroy the old one. Make sure to show the new card to your dentist when your child receives treatment.
Return to top

What if my child's permanent Delta Dental card gets lost or damaged?

If you need a replacement card, you can request one by calling our customer service department at 800-482-8915. Remember to show your child’s Delta Dental card at every appointment.
Return to top

Explore Healthy Kids Dental: