How to Care for Mouth Guards
To make sure your mouth guard keeps protecting your teeth, it’s important to give it some care. Mouth guards spend a lot of time in your mouth, an area that can have a lot of germs. When you take the mouth guard out, those germs can grow and the mouth guard can even become moldy. Yuck!
To take care of your mouth guard you should:
- Brush the mouth guard with a toothbrush and toothpaste after every use.
- Soak the mouth guard in denture cleaning solution for 20 to 30 minutes one time each month.
- Freshen up the mouth guard by soaking it overnight in a cup of mouthwash.
- Transport the mouth guard in a sturdy container that has vents so air can circulate.
- Replace the mouth guard when it becomes too worn down.
Help your kids get excited about taking care of their teeth with the fun games and activities in Marshall Molar’s Kid Corner! Many topics also are available as downloadable flyers in our oral health flyers section.